Have you seen these off the shoulder capelets from the Miu Miu Spring 2012 show? Once I saw them, I knew I had to make this cute little number my DIY project this month.
Photos from style.com
What you need: Fabric, 2.5m velvet ribbon and basic sewing equipment and here's how I made mine:
1. Wrap the cloth around your body to determine the length of the fabric. It should be able to go round the body (including arms) and have a small gap of around 5cm between the two ends. This length has taken the hem allowances into account. The length I used was 93cm.
2. Cut out a rectangular piece of fabric of width 52cm and length from step 1.
3. Hem the two short sides and one of the long side of the fabric. We will name this long side with hem side A while the other long side without hem side B.
4. Make two folds along the long side: first fold 22cm from side B and second 4.5cm away from side A. Side A should be over side B now. Press the folds with a hot iron.
5. Sew along the fabric where side A and B overlaps, at approximately 1cm from side A. This will create a hole for the ribbon to go through.
6. Lastly, using a safety pin as a guide, string the velvet ribbon through the hole.
And there you have it, a Miu Miu inspired capelet!
Since I wrote these instructions and I'm a sewing noob, don't take my instructions too seriously yah? LOL. Have fun making your own capelet!