Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Off the shoulder capelet DIY

Have you seen these off the shoulder capelets from the Miu Miu Spring 2012 show? Once I saw them, I knew I had to make this cute little number my DIY project this month.
Photos from style.com

What you need: Fabric, 2.5m velvet ribbon and basic sewing equipment and here's how I made mine:

1. Wrap the cloth around your body to determine the length of the fabric. It should be able to go round the body (including arms) and have a small gap of around 5cm between the two ends. This length has taken the hem allowances into account. The length I used was 93cm.
2. Cut out a rectangular piece of fabric of width 52cm and length from step 1.
3. Hem the two short sides and one of the long side of the fabric. We will name this long side with hem side A while the other long side without hem side B.


4. Make two folds along the long side: first fold 22cm from side B and second 4.5cm away from side A. Side A should be over side B now. Press the folds with a hot iron.

5. Sew along the fabric where side A and B overlaps, at approximately 1cm from side A. This will create a hole for the ribbon to go through.

6. Lastly, using a safety pin as a guide, string the velvet ribbon through the hole.

And there you have it, a Miu Miu inspired capelet!

Since I wrote these instructions and I'm a sewing noob, don't take my instructions too seriously yah? LOL. Have fun making your own capelet!
Love,
Ft

25 comments :

  1. this is such a wonderful diy! looks soo simple! im totally gonna try this! :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute dress! and very cute capelet. going to make one of my own as soon as I get some spare time... but with dinosaur material ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, the capelet is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to try this!!! Thanks!

    xx

    e.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute tutorial~ i like the plaid :) capelets are in :D

    -Joyce
    carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so gorgeous! Loveee the DIY.


    xoxo,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey this is so simple and creative, sometimes i wish i were a girl and can wear all these stuff, haha.... not that i hate being a guy, don't misunderstand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ladies never cease to amaze me c: This is so fantastic! Such a good spring look too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a very lovely DIY!

    xx, Sabinna and David

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute and nice! =) I'm going to keep it in mind for my next sewing project. that is, when I finally decide to unveil my sewing machine again. keke. way to go, babe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh myyy, this is so gorgeous, you're going to have to send me one ;)
    Love how you recreated the cape, it looks boutique bought, your sewing skills are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cool that you made it, it looks so nice!! I love the houndstooth pattern, and the bow makes it look so adorable. I'm no good at this sewing stuff but thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats such a cute idea!

    xo Camilla

    Into The Fold

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is amazing, you are so talented!

    http://missmollyfashions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the capelet looks great on and I love the material you selected.Definitely giving this a go! xo

    www.almostdelightful.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. how adorable!!! <3 thankyou for visiting my blog :)


    missdanbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for the sweet comment! Yes, I am loving the cobalt trend. This DIY tutorial is so cute!

    mango

    mangotatoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, this is SUCH a fun DIY! What a splendid idea! You have a really great blog!

    ox,
    -Davie+Erica
    Wardrobe Stylists, NYC.

    http://www.lpfashionphilosophy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. you've done such an amazing job! i love your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's ultra cute my dear!
    love that you've all those ideas to add some nice touches to a look x

    Follow me on:
    Miss Kwong - Art and Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is TOO cute! I really like the style and how it is lady like and delicate! You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is just so adorable! I love how simple it is and how elegant it turned out looking!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you so much for this tutorial!! as soon as i saw the miu miu capelets at fashion week, i knew i had to make one for myself. thank goodness for your quick & easy tutorial. below are links to my completed capelets - I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!! thanks again - great tutorial! xoxo emilia

    Red Lace Capelet w/ Burgundy Ribbon

    Mint Green Capelet w/ Light Pink Ribbon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment. They made our day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...